I only had 1 week to travel around Japan, therefore, it is very important to plan ahead to maximize time. Good thing Japan has amazing bullet trains, called the shinkansen, that enables traveling to faraway places in a considerably shorter time. A trip from Tokyo to Kyoto, for instance, which takes around 7 hours by bus, can take only 2 hours and 40 minutes by shinkansen. However, shinkansen tickets are really expensive. Therefore, if you plan to visit several places in Japan, a Japan Rail pass is a must.
Below is my 8-day itinerary in Japan.
• Arrival in Japan at Narita International Airport
• Traveled to Kyoto and checked in to hotel
• Explored Gion
• Visited Fushimi Inari-taisha (morning)
• Visited Arashiyama bamboo forest (afternoon)
• Explored the streets around the Gion district
• Visited Kiyomizu-dera, Yasaka Pagoda, and Chionin Temple (morning)